At this point, I had enough things drawn out that I could start the build process. I started by buying two pieces of 2mm plexiglass from a local glass shop and getting them to cut the pieces to size. Exactly 177mm wide and 678mm long.
I then got a 5'x5' sheet of 1/8" (approximately 3mm) Birch plywood from a local building supply store and traced the plexiglass onto the plywood, this ensured that even if the plexiglass wasn't exactly the right size the two would still fit together.
Thankfully I have access to a table saw which makes cutting straight, right angle cuts much easier than with a hand saw. I also have access to a chop saw, which makes angled cuts more accurately than by hand.
I was able to cut the plywood backs of the housing and the plexiglass with the same set-up. I wasn't sure how the plexiglass would handle being cut with a chop saw but it seemed to be fine.
Once I had all the angles cut, I ripped some pieces of plexiglass to make the lip and the surrounding edge on the panel.
The thin pieces are 3mm wider and the other pieces are 7mm wide. Both are cut from 3mm plywood.
![]() |
| Tracing is much easier than measuring! |
I then got a 5'x5' sheet of 1/8" (approximately 3mm) Birch plywood from a local building supply store and traced the plexiglass onto the plywood, this ensured that even if the plexiglass wasn't exactly the right size the two would still fit together.
Thankfully I have access to a table saw which makes cutting straight, right angle cuts much easier than with a hand saw. I also have access to a chop saw, which makes angled cuts more accurately than by hand.
![]() |
| Cutting Corners! |
I was able to cut the plywood backs of the housing and the plexiglass with the same set-up. I wasn't sure how the plexiglass would handle being cut with a chop saw but it seemed to be fine.
Once I had all the angles cut, I ripped some pieces of plexiglass to make the lip and the surrounding edge on the panel.
![]() |
| A notebook with measurements is very helpful. |
The thin pieces are 3mm wider and the other pieces are 7mm wide. Both are cut from 3mm plywood.





Comments
Post a Comment