Continued from pt.1
I started the gluing process with the longest pieces of the lip, gluing them to the back pieces. I use Titebond Original wood glue for everything made from wood.
I didn't bother to try and measure them and make 45-degree cuts before gluing them on. It's much easier to cut them after and it accomplishes the exact same thing. Extreme precision isn't needed here.
Here they are trimmed to fit, I just used a fine-tooth handsaw and approximated the angle.
All the other pieces glued in. This wasn't very difficult, just time-consuming. For the corner pieces, I held a piece in place and made marks where to cut, purposefully cutting them slightly too long. Then I was able to sand them down so they fit perfectly.
Next was to add the outer edge, it seems like I forgot to take pictures for the majority of this step, but it's almost identical to adding the lip. The only difference is that I clamped the pieces on slightly differently, rather than clamping with downward pressure I clamped the pieces with pressure pushing from the side.
This is the one picture I have of this step, adding the corner pieces. I did the same thing as before. I glued larger pieces on and then trimmed them down with a saw after the glue dried. I cleaned up the outer edges by rounding them all off slightly with sandpaper.
In the above picture, you can also see the position markers I added, the housings ended up not being perfectly square so I had to file the plexiglass sheets in certain spots to make them fit. While this is annoying and will bother me, it is a very minor problem and would be very difficult to fix.
Here you can see the finished lip and edge together, the edge extends 2mm above the lip which is exactly how thick the plexiglass is.
With both the lip and the edges glued in place the panels are done. At this point, I test fit the plexiglass to ensure everything fit together.
I started the gluing process with the longest pieces of the lip, gluing them to the back pieces. I use Titebond Original wood glue for everything made from wood.
All the other pieces glued in. This wasn't very difficult, just time-consuming. For the corner pieces, I held a piece in place and made marks where to cut, purposefully cutting them slightly too long. Then I was able to sand them down so they fit perfectly.
Next was to add the outer edge, it seems like I forgot to take pictures for the majority of this step, but it's almost identical to adding the lip. The only difference is that I clamped the pieces on slightly differently, rather than clamping with downward pressure I clamped the pieces with pressure pushing from the side.
This is the one picture I have of this step, adding the corner pieces. I did the same thing as before. I glued larger pieces on and then trimmed them down with a saw after the glue dried. I cleaned up the outer edges by rounding them all off slightly with sandpaper.
In the above picture, you can also see the position markers I added, the housings ended up not being perfectly square so I had to file the plexiglass sheets in certain spots to make them fit. While this is annoying and will bother me, it is a very minor problem and would be very difficult to fix.
Here you can see the finished lip and edge together, the edge extends 2mm above the lip which is exactly how thick the plexiglass is.
With both the lip and the edges glued in place the panels are done. At this point, I test fit the plexiglass to ensure everything fit together.





Comments
Post a Comment