It was at this time that I started to wonder if there was some way I could make a computer model that would allow me to play with the arms, to move them and see them fold and unfold. After looking at a bunch of different CAD softwares and not really seeing what I wanted, I arrived at Fusion 360 from Autodesk. While Fusion seems to be oriented around team development and pushes the cloud-based nature of the program quite hard, it also seemed to be exactly what I needed.
This is the part that caught my eye, nevermind that it was an extremely capable CAD software. I would be able to create an arm assembly and then make it move, this was really exciting at the time. To be honest it still is rather exciting to watch the arm assembly move in Fusion just by moving the drive arm.
Oh, and it's free. (for hobbyists and students)
On to the actual design, since I was extremely excited to try the moving parts feature, I immediately created an approximate model and set about making the joints.
This is the part that caught my eye, nevermind that it was an extremely capable CAD software. I would be able to create an arm assembly and then make it move, this was really exciting at the time. To be honest it still is rather exciting to watch the arm assembly move in Fusion just by moving the drive arm.
Oh, and it's free. (for hobbyists and students)
This is the result, a very rough model. However, despite being rough and not to scale, it does function properly and after this, I have designed everything in Fusion rather than TinkerCAD.
This is the actual model of the arm assembly. Just about everything here is how the actual build turned out. Notice that the arms don't fold flat, if I would make the arms fold completely flat then they would not be able to extend properly.
Comments
Post a Comment