I started off with by figuring out exactly what the arms would look like. I drew up 3 different arm designs in TinkerCAD and, once again, ended up not using any of them.
These were designed to include a short piece of rope wrapping around each end. I wasn't sure how strong the bond between metal and wood would be and I thought maybe a piece of rope slathered with epoxy would add enough strength to the joint.
Straight Arm
Rounded Arm






These were designed to include a short piece of rope wrapping around each end. I wasn't sure how strong the bond between metal and wood would be and I thought maybe a piece of rope slathered with epoxy would add enough strength to the joint.
Straight Arm
Tapered Arm
I experimented with the last design.

I drilled with a larger bit first to make room for the lip the bearing has, then all the way through with a smaller bit.

Fits pretty perfectly.

I used Kroeger Quik-Cure 5 minute epoxy. It's supposed to have a better bond with both wood and metal compared to their 10 or 15 minute versions.

The bond was decent, but with a little sideways force it popped right off. The epoxy needs more surface area to get a strong bond.
Back to the drawing board. Rather than just having the wood end at the bearing I decided to make it wrap all the way around.

I drilled the 2 sizes of holes into this piece of wood. This piece was just wide enough to not be cut in half by the drill bit like before. Then I epoxied the bearing in place, I also added a short piece of 5/16" steel rod in the middle of the bearing to test the epoxy in a metal to metal bond.

I cut the wood around the bearing leaving a thin rim. Once the epoxy had cured I tried to break it like before and I couldn't. I got other people to try to break it, they couldn't either. This is how I did all the bearing joints in this project.
Comments
Post a Comment