Now that I knew the size and power output of the cells I could actually start thinking about the panels and what arrangement I wanted the cells in. I decided against planning to use all 10 cells, one might get messed up during soldering and then I'd have to redesign the whole thing all over again. 8 cells seemed like a good balance between using as many cells as I could while still having the safety of 2 extra cells.
I considered putting all 8 cells into a single panel and having it strapped to the kayak, but really? That's kinda boring and I didn't really feel like going to all this effort just to have something as simple as that. So the idea got more complex, rarely a good thing in engineering projects but in this case, it was exactly what I wanted.
At this point, I was playing around with different layouts on a website called TinkerCAD, this is a really nice piece of software to use for some basic 3D modeling. It won't take you very far once things start to get complex, but for some basic stuff, it works really well.
Here's the panel in TinkerCAD. The solar cells are blue and the transparent bit on the right is the plexiglass cover. I went with a very simple panel design, the 4 cells in a row and a basic wooden casing to hold the whole thing.
Below you can see a colored cut through of the panel. There is a small lip for the plexiglass to sit on (pink) and an edge running around the entire panel to hold the plexiglass in place (orange).
Almost everything was designed to be cut out from 3mm (1/8') plywood.
I considered putting all 8 cells into a single panel and having it strapped to the kayak, but really? That's kinda boring and I didn't really feel like going to all this effort just to have something as simple as that. So the idea got more complex, rarely a good thing in engineering projects but in this case, it was exactly what I wanted.
At this point, I was playing around with different layouts on a website called TinkerCAD, this is a really nice piece of software to use for some basic 3D modeling. It won't take you very far once things start to get complex, but for some basic stuff, it works really well.
Below you can see a colored cut through of the panel. There is a small lip for the plexiglass to sit on (pink) and an edge running around the entire panel to hold the plexiglass in place (orange).
Almost everything was designed to be cut out from 3mm (1/8') plywood.
Comments
Post a Comment