Skip to main content

The Idea - Coming Together

My idea started out fairly simple, to have some sort of power generation that was portable enough to sit on the kayak and a small battery pack as back-up for when the sun disappeared behind some clouds for the day.

Any kind of turbine or bladed power generation was quickly ruled out, I really didn't want to add much drag to my kayak and besides that, a wind turbine mounted to the front of my kayak didn't sound all that visually appealing.

Combustion of any kind was also scratched off the list. While the idea of a little steam engine generator on the back of my kayak was an interesting thought, I did NOT like the thought of a little coal fire in my kayak. In any case, combustion generation tends to be loud and loud doesn't mix well with a kayak gliding silently through the reeds on a glassy lake.

The only other option I could think of was solar. It's quiet, it can be very low profile so as to not add much drag, and it's light. The only slight downside is that it needs sunlight to function, however, most days that I'm out kayaking it'll probably be sunny.

Boring Solar Panels
Once I decided upon solar as my source of power generation I needed some way to mount the solar panels or cells to my kayak. Now if this was a boring (or efficient or practical) project I would just buy a pre-made solar panel and bungee it to the kayak deck. Done. Instead, I let my imagination run wild. The result was certainly not boring. Although sometimes I do question exactly how practical this project is before reminding myself that this isn't a practical project, this is a fun project.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Designing - The Cells

A distinction I should make before going any further is the difference between solar cells and solar panels. When I am talking about the solar cells I am talking about the individual square parts inside of the panel. The panel being the housing for the cells, some sort of stiff material for the back and a sheet of glass over the front. The cells produce power and the panel houses and protects the fragile cells. The first step of designing the solar panels was to get the actual solar cells I'd be using since literally, everything was dependent on their size. I was able to find some panels for fairly cheap on eBay, so I officially began the project with the purchase of 10 A Grade 4.8W 19.6% 156mm Mono Silicon Cells. Here's what that means: A Grade  - Panels are completely intact. B, C, or D Grade will have increasingly large chips missing from the cells. Read more  here. 4.8W  - This is the power output. 19.6%  - This is the claimed efficiency of the cells. ...

Update - Drive System

Right, so my suspicions about the bond between the drive arm and drive arm were correct. When I tried to extend the panels using a pair of pliers the epoxy joints cracked and the axle broke loose. The panels did not extend at all. I've drilled a hole through the drive arm and axle, I epoxied a nail into the hole and it seems to be holding. I can now extend the panel with pliers. It takes quite a bit of force to do it. I kinda doubt a servo will be able to handle it.

Building - Arms Pt. 1

Building the arms was by far the most time-consuming task. If only I had a cnc.... The rim of wood around the bearing was needed but I didn't like the really thick arm, I drew this up in Fusion, printed out the drawing, and stuck it down with a glue stick. The slot in the middle was an idea to make the arms lighter and look cooler. I tried it with one arm and then ditched the idea, it really didn't work and was a lot of work. All cut-out, at this point I didn't have access to a scroll saw so this was all done with a regular handsaw and files. It's pretty rough but I cleaned it up as best I could. Already looking much better. The next step was mass production, I needed 20 arms total. For this, I bought a used Craftsman Scroll saw. It was very, very useful. All cut and drilled out. Removing the paper was annoying, I used the top edge of a file to scrape it off. Since I put it on with a glue stick it wasn't very difficult to scrap...