This project starts with my kayak, during the summer months I regularly go on kayak trips and one of the things I always bring with me is my phone. I like to keep track of how far I paddle and where I have all gone, so I use a GPS tracker on my phone. In addition to running a GPS tracker constantly, I also use my phone to take pictures of things of interest or whenever something catches my eye.
Unfortunately, this drains the battery pretty quickly and after a long day paddling my phone would long be dead. The solution to this could be very simple, a small USB battery pack, like I did last summer. However, the simplest solution is rarely the most fun, and so I set out to create a way to charge my phone while out on the lake that was neither simple nor boring.
On this blog, I will try to explain my thought process in designing the solar panels as best as I can. I will also have a fairly detailed build guide of sorts with pictures and explanations. While you might not able to completely replicate my work from this blog alone I hope it can get you close enough.
Leave a comment if you find this interesting or if you want something explained further, I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have.
![]() |
| My Kayak (Wilderness Supply Tempest 170) |
Unfortunately, this drains the battery pretty quickly and after a long day paddling my phone would long be dead. The solution to this could be very simple, a small USB battery pack, like I did last summer. However, the simplest solution is rarely the most fun, and so I set out to create a way to charge my phone while out on the lake that was neither simple nor boring.
On this blog, I will try to explain my thought process in designing the solar panels as best as I can. I will also have a fairly detailed build guide of sorts with pictures and explanations. While you might not able to completely replicate my work from this blog alone I hope it can get you close enough.
Leave a comment if you find this interesting or if you want something explained further, I'll do my best to answer any questions you might have.

Comments
Post a Comment