With the model in Fusion I printed out 4 patterns. I laminated 3 pieces of plywood together for each of the 4 brackets.
Since the brackets are longer than a single sheet of paper I had to print out 8 templates and glue them together. 4 of each end, both including the middle.
Each template with the plywood it'll be attached to.
This was a really messy process, the glue comes out everywhere when it gets clamped. I had to put in nails at each end to make sure everything stayed lined up.
I used a gluestick to attach the templates.
Everything drilled out.
Since the brackets are over 9 mm thick and the bearings are 7 mm thick I drilled 3 different sizes of holes. The third hole is much smaller and it only allows the drive axle through with a little bit of room to spare.
Since the templates were glued together, not everything was completely straight. I put some extra steel rod through each hole, putting the bearings in place so everything would stay lined up. As you can see the edges don't line up at all.
Then I used a belt grinder to sand everything flat.
Even after sanding them they weren't all the same I matched them up as best as possible.
Then I painted them black and gave them a matte clear coat like the rest of the wood.
Here are brackets assembled (but not glued yet). I used some extra pieces of rod in place of the drive axles just for the test fit. Everything seemed to line up ok at this point.
Since the axles at the end weren't quite long enough I added some small caps. I painted these black as well.
This wasn't planned but it ended up looking ok anyway.
Since the brackets are longer than a single sheet of paper I had to print out 8 templates and glue them together. 4 of each end, both including the middle.
Each template with the plywood it'll be attached to.
This was a really messy process, the glue comes out everywhere when it gets clamped. I had to put in nails at each end to make sure everything stayed lined up.
I used a gluestick to attach the templates.
Everything drilled out.
Since the brackets are over 9 mm thick and the bearings are 7 mm thick I drilled 3 different sizes of holes. The third hole is much smaller and it only allows the drive axle through with a little bit of room to spare.
Since the templates were glued together, not everything was completely straight. I put some extra steel rod through each hole, putting the bearings in place so everything would stay lined up. As you can see the edges don't line up at all.
Then I used a belt grinder to sand everything flat.
Even after sanding them they weren't all the same I matched them up as best as possible.
Then I painted them black and gave them a matte clear coat like the rest of the wood.
Here are brackets assembled (but not glued yet). I used some extra pieces of rod in place of the drive axles just for the test fit. Everything seemed to line up ok at this point.
Since the axles at the end weren't quite long enough I added some small caps. I painted these black as well.
This wasn't planned but it ended up looking ok anyway.













Comments
Post a Comment